To make sure we’re all on the same page, let’s first define the growth of Instagram. Many people measure Instagram growth by the number of new followers, likes, and comments on their posts. Press coverage. All of these metrics are useful social media KPIs. We recommend a slightly different approach. If Instagram is an integral part of your marketing strategy, you should use business KPIs to measure growth.
Why do you invest in building an Instagram presence and increasing reach? Because a strong social media presence can positively impact your bottom line.
Growing your Instagram account can help you:
- sell your products directly from the platform
- provide exquisite customer service
- expand your customer base by reaching brand new audiences
- establish your brand as an industry leader
Top Instagram growth tips
Using Instagram hashtags, the right way
If you’ve been using Instagram for a while now, then you probably know the importance of using the right hashtags. They are the best tool you have at your disposal to help you reach more people and, consequently, also drive more engagement and activity on your posts.
In a recent test made by the Social Media Lab to find out whether they could get 100 new followers on Instagram in 24 hours, the tactic they used for hashtags was as follows:
- Pick 30 relevant hashtags
- Make sure they’re not too popular, bust also not too infrequent – the sweet spot, in this case, was having anywhere between 50k to 300k images per hashtag. The goal was to get the images in the top 9 for the hashtag in order to increase visibility; if there are too many images for that hashtag on Instagram, it’s close to impossible to achieve this, particularly if your profile isn’t hugely popular already
- every day)
This might sound like a lot of work, but it doesn’t necessarily have to be; Stories are easy to create and live videos don’t have to be too long.
Ideally, you should plan your Instagram content strategy in advance, so that you are ready for anything, anytime:
- Candid shots from around the office as well as from outside the office (teambuilding trip, anyone?)
- Photos of your lunches – there’s nothing that performs better on Instagram than food. Except maybe for cute dogs. And cute cats. And other cute animals. But apart from that, food rules social media, and particularly Instagram.
- Motivational, funny, and interesting quotes
- Sneak peeks at upcoming products
- Branded content – promotional shots and videos, photos of your products or services, and so on
- Interesting stats (just turn them into an image)
This way, you can keep an eye on the top posts being shared with these hashtags, which helps you understand what kind of content resonates with audiences.
b24_keyword_widget: Widget class not found. Make sure this widget exists and the class name is correct
Take a look at Instagram hashtags analytics
A social media listening tool will collect additional data that will help you grow your Instagram presence.
Let’s discuss the benefits of social media monitoring for Instagram growth.
All the examples are based on Brand24, a media monitoring tool. Brand24 collects only publicly available mentions and is 100% compliant with Facebook API and GDPR rules.
To boost your Instagram growth, it’s vital to track the performance of your hashtags online. That way, you will get some important Instagram metrics:
- the social media reach of your posts — to see how many people could have seen your post
- the total number of type of interactions — to see whether your posts are engaging your community
- trending hashtags within your industry — to boost your social media reach and find new users interested in your content
Moreover, Brand24 will help you collect all mentions with your predefined hashtag. That way you can react to all posts mentioning your brand.
The more you mix up your Instagram content strategy, the better – and some of this content, you can prepare in advance to make things easier on yourself.
For example, some of the materials that you can prepare ahead of time include: product images, motivational, interesting, and funny quote images, and any promotional content. For the rest of them, keep your eyes open every day and take in the world around you: what would your audience like to see from your world?
Diversify your content
Back in the day when Instagram was first invented, you could only share photos. Once Facebook bought the social media platform, the content you can post diversified.
If you want to work in increasing your Instagram reach, you should explore everything Instagram has to offer.
Posts content to your feed regularly, use Instagram Stories, and prepare content for IGTV. You might attract slightly different audience with each type of content which will help you organically grow your Instagram presence.
UGC stands for user-generated content.
Sharing user-generated content can help you grow your Instagram by reaching brand new audiences.
How to do that?
Create a hashtag campaign for Instagram users that will promote your branded hashtag. Then, choose the posts you want to promote on your feed and credit the authors.
User-generated content can do wonders to your Instagram growth strategy. Not only will you engage your followers, you will also get a lot of unique and often very creative content you can use on your social media.
Follow targeted users on a regular basis
Another essential step in a successful Instagram growth strategy is to find and follow targeted users.
Instagram allows you to follow as many as 50 users an hour before they get angry. But, it still might not be the best idea to follow 50 people every hour, 8 hours a day – a few dozens a day is great to start with.
First, start by locating some of your top competitors, who share an audience with you – preferably, a very engaged audience.
Look at accounts that not only cater to the same audience, but that also gets lots of engagement on their posts – that usually shows that they have an engaged audience, which is the best kind of audience to have.
Otherwise, what’s the point? You could have loads of followers, tens of thousands, but if they couldn’t care less about you, your business, or what you post, what’s the point? It might look (and feel) good to see you have so many followers, but it’s actually much better to have fewer, but very engaged followers.
Surprisingly, I don’t find this to be the case on other social networks – or, at least, not to the extent they were before. For example, in my case, some of my posts that have the least engagement actually drive the most traffic, while posts with plenty of comments and likes, barely get any traffic. It’s a strange time for social media marketing; but alas, I’ve digressed enough – Instagram, as opposed to Facebook and Twitter, still thrives on engagement.
So, as I was saying earlier, find top competitors who have over 50k followers and plenty of engagement on their posts.
Once you’ve found at least 10 accounts, write them down in a spreadsheet and start following their followers – as I mentioned before, never more than 50 per hour, as per Instagram’s regulations.
Be active and engage
I’m not going to spend too long on this as the headline really says it all: be active and engage.
It’s not enough to just post content, you also need to engage – and it’s a great way to reach new people and get targeted users to follow you and engage with you back.
Always put 5 or so minutes aside every day to engage: leave comments, respond to each and every comment you get on your content, like images and videos, and so on.
It will not only help you boost your Instagram engagement, but it can also help you get more followers – so, if you find any users that fit with your audience, reach out to them by liking their content and leaving comments. It will put you on their radar – and it could lead to a follow-back from a genuinely interested and engaged user.
You probably are active on more than one social media platform. That means you can easily post the same content on different social media channels.
This Instagram growth hack has a few benefits. You will be able to engage your followers across different platforms and direct some of the traffic towards your Instagram account. Remember to offer exclusive content on Instagram, so your potential followers have an incentive to follow your account.
Take a look at other visual social media platform, Pinterest. If you use a service like IFTTT, you can easily connect two accounts and post Instagram photos directly to Pinterest.
To build Instagram growth, you can also add link to your Instagram account to your newsletter or Intercom chat. That way, you make your potential followers aware of the social media platforms you’re active on.
How to grow your Instagram?
To sum up, a solid Instagram growth strategy requires:
- A solid daily content schedule: 1-2 photos a day, one live video per day, and at least 5 Instagram Stories – the more, the merrier
- Always use relevant hashtags – find up to 30 relevant hashtags and post them in a comment, rather than in the posts’ caption
- Follow targeted users – find top competitors and follow their followers (up to 50 per hour)
- Engage – engage with other users on a daily basis and be an active user on the platform
- March was third warmest in 121 years
- PUBG Mobile Lite 0.20.1 APK, New Features
- Justin Langer trusts Australia players in IPL 2021 to manage workload
- Aadhaar Card-PAN Card: Here’s How to Check If They Are Linked
- What is Instagram growth?